David Sorel mainly advises listed companies, institutional investors and French and international investment funds in connection with M&A and investment transactions.
He also assists clients in restructuring transactions and joint ventures.
MAJOR RECENT PROJECTS
- advised Ivanhoé Cambridge on the launch with Greystar and Bouwinvest Real Estate Investment Management B.V. of a “develop-to-core” vehicle aimed at developing a portfolio of residences for students and young professionals in the Paris region, with a total investment capacity of €1 billion. (2020)
- advised Ivanhoé Cambridge in the acquisition, from the Carlyle Group, of 17 logistics assets totaling 430,000 sq.m. (2020)
- advised Gecina on the lease 80% of the premises in L1ve by Boston Consulting Group, located at 75 avenue de la Grande Armée, in Paris
- advised BNP Paribas Leasing Solutions, a subsidiary of BNP Paribas’ group, in the signing of an agreement leading to a commercial and capitalistic alliance, notably through a joint venture company named BNP Paribas 3 Step IT, which will be 51% owned by BNP Paribas Leasing Solutions and 49% by 3 Step IT (June 2019)
- advised Ivanhoé Cambridge SICAV-SIF on the launch of ICAWOOD, a fund managed by ICAMAP dedicated to the development of low-carbon new generation offices in Paris (February 2019).
- advised Catella Residential Investment Management GmbH (CRIM) on the acquisition, on behalf of two residential pan-European German real estate funds, from A Plus Finance, of a real estate portfolio named « Seniority », composed of six senior housing residences (January 2019).
- advised Credit.fr, a subsidiary company of Tikehau Capital, on the acquisitions of 100% of the share capital of Homunity.fr, an internet crowdfunding platform specialized in connecting investors with real-estate developers (January 2019).
- advised Ivanhoé Cambridge on the acquisition of Cap Ampère, an office campus of nearly 90,000 sq.m spread over several buildings in the Saint-Denis Pleyel district and sold by (November 2018).
- advised Unibail-Rodamco on the structuring of its acquisition of Westfield Corporation (June 2018).
David Sorel worked at Ernst & Young (2004-2006) before joining CMS Bureau Francis Lefebvre, and then Allen & Overy in 2010. He joined Lacourte Raquin Tatar in 2017 as a partner in the Tax Practice.
Admitted to the Hauts-de-Seine bar, then the Paris bar since 2005.
Post-graduate degree (DEA) in tax law – Université de Paris II Panthéon-Assas
Post-graduate degree (DESS) in international taxation – Université de Paris II Panthéon-Assas in partnership with the French business school, HEC.
Chambers Europe 2020 – Tax – Up and Coming: Clients say that David Sorel is « a great tax adviser with very strong technical skills.” He specializes in advising clients on the tax structuring aspects of real estate transactions. He is praised for his “deep understanding of real estate tax issues and economic mechanisms. »
Legal500 EMEA 2020 – Property Tax – Next generation lawyer. « He has plenty of experience and a deep understanding of real-estate tax issues and its underlying economic mechanisms. »
Further references: Best Lawyers 2020, IFLR 1000.
Chapter about France co-written with Laura Bernardini.